A Travellerspoint blog

22 Adelaide, South Australia

overcast 16 °C

17th September
Morning arrived to find Mary still unwell in spite of the significant pain killers prescribed for her, however, we decided that we would drive down to Victor Harbour (60 Km) for the day and hope for the best. The weather was still windy and cold, however, we enjoyed the scenery (mainly vineyards) along the hilly way. We had morning tea in the cold wind near the beach and then booked on the Victor Harbour Horse Tramway to cross the bridge to nearby Granite Island. The old Clydesdale horse (22 y o) plodded slowly along the tramway at a pace that enabled us to enjoy the cold wind!

We walked around this small granite island, and outcrop from the mainland, and were very surprised by the huge ocean swells crashing upon the massive rock cliffs. We took many photos because the views were really quite spectacular.

After our return Tramway ride we found a protected lunch shelter and enjoyed lunch. We were soon surrounded by many squawking seagulls, all demanding a free lunch. After this din had continued for several minutes a magpie swooped down on the flock of gulls like a jet aircraft causing the gulls to make a very speedy retreat indeed. The gulls didn’t learn much, for, no sooner had they returned to trying to extort food from us than ‘swoop’ dived bombed again scattering them all along the beach. Free entertainment for us all!

As Brian wanted to see the mouth of the Murray River at nearby Goolwa, we headed off along the byways to Goolwa to check out the Goolwa Barrage. This engineering device was completed many years ago as a flood control mechanism for the Murray River which often has it’s access to the sea blocked due to insufficient river flow to push the sand out to sea. This Barrage is one of several in the Murray River system. We then decided to drive over the infamous Hindmarsh Bridge to get another look at the river. This bridge was in the news a number of years ago when false information was fed into a government study program claiming that Aboriginal ‘secret womens’ business’ had taken place there over many generations – a claim that was subsequently rejected as untrue.

A few photos later and then we found another way to get to the actual river mouth, so off we headed in the late afternoon to check that out too. It looked just like any other river mouth, however, as we knew that it was the great Murray River system we were all satisfied with that fact.

A late afternoon drive home over very hilly terrain was made even more difficult when we had some incidents with a few ‘P’ plated young drivers whose driving skills showed clearly that they had won their licence in a raffle as the apparent IQ was less than their boot size. How we made it home unscathed is something of a miracle.

Mary and I then drove to my cousin Glenda (and John’s) home nearby and we enjoyed a really great evening of reminiscing on family and other adventures – as well as John’s top class cooking! Rather late we made it back home, very tired and slept!
18th September
We arose feeling very tired, however, as it wasn’t actually raining, we drove to the nearby rail station and took a FREE train ride into Adelaide central where we caught the wrong tram to Glenelg. That in itself was quite a feat as the tram only goes to Glenelg – however, we got the right one in the end and enjoyed the trip. Took some photos, had lunch, bought some chocolate stuff and headed back to town for more photos and home for dinner.

19th September

We all went to the local Baptist church and found a very caring bunch of people there. A very good service with a strong message.
After lunch Mary & I drove via a very round-a-bout route to the old German village of Hahndorf. There were plenty of hills and narrow roads but we made it OK and walked the main street checking out the sights. Certainly a taste (literal) taste of Germany with a range of German foods available. An interesting experience, shared with thousands of other visitors!
We took a different, but very windy hill road home and decided to clear our heads with a walk along Christies Beach (for collection of some pretty coloured stones) in the crisp southerly wind. Some dinner, TV and a long sleep.

20th September
As we had three washing machine loads to get washed we were up early to get first wash! After that large chore we drove to the nearby Noarlunga Shopping Centre for coffee with Glenda, John, Ann and Peter (Ann is John and Glenda’s daughter). A very long chat over coffee that we enjoyed immensely, especially as Ann is now writing her 50 something book for Harlequin Press (?) and doing a Masters at university.

We window shopped for a while and then had lunch before Mary managed to get a hair appointment. Met Brian and Maureen and so decided on coffee again before doing our shopping for the next stage of the trip. This shopping centre is a large Centro one about the same size as Indooroopilly I believe.
We went home and tidied up for our next morning departure before learning that Brian was quite unwell and our departure looked quite uncertain.

A very nice dinner that Mary had prepared helped to ease the day’s events.

Posted by psstevo 00:33 Archived in Australia

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.